Tuesday, December 2, 2008

One of those days and Ken Ribinson

I went to university a bit too early yesterday. When I arrived, the building was closed because the electricity had something wrong. The staff told the students there to come back around twelve, so I texted my classmates about that, and I went to a café near my college to kill time.

I chose a bad café since they put the message of “Free wifi” and actually it had but the quality wasn’t good. Then my classmates called me and told that the college was open now and I could come back now. It was almost the starting time of our class. When I went to our studio, there were few classmates and they told the class was cancelled because there were too few people. On top of that, the afternoon session was also cancelled because the morning was cancelled. I thought I shouldn’t have texted and felt guilty. It was meant to be good, but it turned out the bad result. Sometimes quick responses are good, but sometimes not.

Maybe, yesterday was one of those days. I planned to go to a short film event, but something urgent came up for a friend of mine and she suddenly became unable to make it. I asked some other friends of mine but unfortunately they were busy, so I decided not to go. We had had an English class but the college was closed earlier because of the trouble of electricity. Finally I moved to other campus and kept studying.

We usually have a presentation for sort of cultural knowledge sharing every week. The next theme is “DIY”, so I gathered some images of “Okonomiyaki”. Okonomiyaki is a kind of Japanese hot cakes. The thing is that when you go to an Okonomiyaki restaurant, you have to cook it yourself. I thought it was not special, but when I saw “Lost in Translation” I realised that it was a bit wired for foreigners. I hope it would be a good example of Japanese DIY…

One of classmates recommended me to see the following video of Sir Ken Robinson:
http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/ken_robinson_says_schools_kill_creativity.html
“Creativity now is as important in education as literacy, and we should treat it at the same status.”
It was really interesting. I think creativity is really important in education in especially developed countries to empower their economy and quality of life. The problem is education for creativity is very difficult and not formulated yet. It might be quite smart, and it might be quite humorous. At least, this video was really funny, but I couldn’t listen to his jokes because of my English skills. Improving my English listening skill is a really big problem for me. I became a bit concerned, so I accessed BBC learning English pages and listened to some audio contents. The handy guide of Business Gurus was interesting:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/work/handy/
Maybe reading their books are very difficult and takes ages, but if you just know the points of them, this contents should be really useful.

No comments: