Friday, November 28, 2008

the research of major brands

I applied for a part-time job. I’m looking forward to receiving the reply.

Our project is about “consumption” so we’ve decided to research major brands, such as Coca Cola. According to Interbrand, Coca Cola is the number one global brand. I checked Wikipedia, and their annual review. It’s crystal clear that they want to exploit the message of the global community through the experience of drinking Coke. It’s really interesting, because usually kind of globalisation is a negative discourse. The image is a bit boring and “Americanisation” and losing characters, but in a way it connects the world and promotes to understand each other and feel empathy. I think it is a positive side of globalisation and global companies.

Then, I saw a girl, who worked in art sector in Japan. She said the work was really hard because the budget was really limited. What she had to first was to build the connections with the politicians to keep the budget for art. He kept the work one way or another, but the budget for art was gradually lower and lower, then finally nothing, so she decided to quit the job. Her opinion about art market in Japan was negative, but my opinion was not so negative, so I told her my opinion and sort of “passion” to change the market, but only to confirm that she didn’t agree with it and realise that I might be just naïve.
Actually, however, I felt some opportunities in the art market, because the basement is so weak and there might be chances for new comers. Anyway I have to research the art market in Japan if I really want to join the market, and try and find what I can do and what my opportunity is.

Finally, I moved to White chapel to join a party of my classmates. I was really tired, so I didn’t feel up to going the party, but the party was a kind of graduation party of BA course of my classmates, so I thought I could see someone really interesting, but there was no classmates anymore, because it might have been too late. I should’ve finished the meeting with the girl earlier, but her story was really interesting and I couldn’t stop it. It would be better if I can see her again and talk about art or something with other friends. Some other friends of mine also have working experience in art sector in Japan, so they might come up with something from their conversation. It must be exciting time. That’ll be sort of synergy. Connecting people is really exciting, because there’ll be something more than “1 + 1 = 2”. 1+1 might be 3, 4 or something very interesting.

I remember another thing she said. She said people who can control budget for art in Japan were too conservative to understand the value of art policies. I agree with it, but I think we shouldn’t wait for it to change.

No comments: