Saturday, November 29, 2008

Apple community

Yesterday, I went to Apple store for our research.
I tried to feel the mood, feeling and emotion, to see how customers behave. Basically the space was really energetic. Many customers circulated in the store. The customers are very various, from kids to elderly people. Among them, there two ladies, who it seems to me that they were looking for new computer for the mother, maybe she was between 60 and 70 years old.
I thought it was one of the good aspects of consumption. The activity produces some opportunities for families to communicate.

They also have lectures for their products. It looks like sort of “Apple community”. People gather with people who are interested in the same thing. Apple becomes a kind of hub to connect people. There is a community. It is also another advantage of consumption. Mutual experiences to use some particular products make us feel connected, and I think some companies try to take advantage of it.

The experience in Apple store was really comfortable, then I moved to Nokia store. The feeling was totally different. Basically there were few customers, it was not fair to compare it with Apple store directly, but the approach to customers seemed to be different to Apple as well. Their approach looked more technological and more “cool”. They seemed to want to show how cool they are. In a way, the approach might be really good, but my feeling in the store was a bit isolated.

Maybe the positions of Apple and Nokia are different. Nokia would want to be a pioneer of mobile phone technologies, but Apple might not care about it. Instead of that, it seems to me that Apple takes care about customer experiences. Both would be advantages of consumption, but the types are a bit different.

After that, I moved to college and checked some commercials of international brand companies. As I had seen in the store, Nokia’s approach was also kind of based on “coolness”. When it comes to Apple, they used both way. The commercial of iPod was really experience-oriented, maybe because the technology was not so special, but that of iPhone looked more technological, but based on experience-oriented.

I thought I would stay college as long as possible, but I felt a bit tired, so I went home earlier than I thought, but it might’ve been better to stay more, because in my room usually I’m too relaxed to study. I’m really not sure which is better to study at college for a long time or to change the place to study. Concentration should be important for learning, so I must put myself in a place where I can keep my concentration anyway.

Finally I watched “Shameless” to get used to English conversation in natural speed. It was the final episode of the first season. Its characters are basically crazy, but in the end it became happy ending, so my feeling was really good after seeing it.

No comments: