Friday, August 17, 2007

I finally arrived at london.

0th day:
I became nervous.
For a while, my concern was that I had no concern, but it was not true.
It was just because of the shortage of my imagination.

Malaysian Airline is good, because all the sheets have VoD service.
“Spiderman 3 was very interesting.


1st day:
I arrived at Heathrow, then I went to Elephant & Castle, where is my language school, on tube. It took about an hour, so Heathrow is closer to the center of London than Narita to Tokyo.

English class has nothing at 1st day but introduction, so it’s boring.

After the introduction, I went out to my Hall of Residence, but I had only a print out of Google Map and the leaflet which has a vague map, so I lost my way.
Then I found a man, who looks like a visiting cleaner, and asked him the way.
He didn’t know that, but he had a sort of PDA, which can search for some place form an address, so he found my way and taught me.
He’s very gentlemen, but I forgot to ask his name…but I never forget his kindness!

At last I got there, but next trouble was waiting.
The gate was locked. I couldn’t enter. I pushed the bell, but it seemed not to work.
Looking for the other gate, I was walking around the residence when a man, who seemed to live around there, told me that I should just wait because someone passed buy.
At first I couldn’t believe it, but after waiting for about 15 minutes some student came there and unlocked the gate.
She asked me how long I wait here. When I answered about 15 minutes, she said “you’re lucky”.
In return I asked her if everyone stayed there until someone passed by, she answered “yes”.
Oh, what excellent operation it is…

Then, I entered the room of the manager, who called PK, but he isn’t.
The girl who unlocked the gate told me to wait here and went upstairs.
For a while I waited here, but he didn’t come.
Other girl passed by and spoke to me.
“Are you waiting for PK?”
“Yes.”
“Call this number.”
She indicated the number on the wall.
“But I have no phone…”
“Ah…just wait.”
She brought her mobile phone from her room and called him.
Then, he came there and gave me my room key.

My room is large enough to live alone, but Internet Access was not working well…




2nd day:
I went to school in early morning because I was going to be told about when my class started.
My class was to start from 2 a.m., so by beginning my class, I went to south bank.
I walked around westwalk station and visited tate modern.
Here, some exhibition held and almost all the exhibition was fee free.
One of the themes was City, and other was UBS collection.
Former focused on the visual expression of comparison between some large cities, such as Cairo, Sao Paulo, Los Angeles, etc…
I wonder when people started to be interested in cities.
From the early 20th century? From ajge? From Sander?
For most of people, cities are already usual things.
Does the comparison between each other make new meanings?

I’m interested in percentages of immigration in each city.
That of London is about 30%, Los Angeles is about 35%, but Tokyo is just few percent.
Tokyo is mega city, but it seems to be take a lot of time that Tokyo becomes an international city.

I found a photograph of Las Vegas.
The city is strictly gridded, the inside is very confused though.
The gap is very interesting.


3rd day
I decided to try to go to school on foot.
On the way, I found a flea market. It seemed to be useful.
There were a mobile shop and I took out a leaflet.
In the UK, there are 2 plan, monthly and pay as you go.
Monthly seems to be more reasonable, but it require you to have a bank account.
I don’t have it in the UK, so maybe I have to contract a “pay as you go” plan…

In my English Class, I’m less at English, especially Listening and Speaking, than other students. I must study hard.

On the way to go home, near my residence I discovered a good supermarket.
500g pasta is just 27p (about 68yen)!

No comments: