Monday, March 10, 2008

How to represent "sacred"

Last week, I brought some small paper models to my uni and I talked with my tutor. Last time, he suggested me I should see works of Carl Andre. I felt his works are very simple, they have a strong gesture. He uses tiles and woods for his work, and I thought sphere has some impressions of sacred, so I used it in my models. In addition sky is very important factor for me to feel sacred emotion, so I also made some models that have elements of sky.

Many tutors don’t prefer my sphere models, but he said he liked it, but it was not clear that it was his honest opinion. He gave me two advices. One is to “borrow” some spaces to make sacred spaces, because I always tried to make up them by myself, but he showed me that there were many beautiful places in our college. The other is to think well of how to represent “sacred”. There are many methods for that, such as drawing, computer, and pictures. They are good suggestions and I got motivation, but actually I’m not sure what is the best way to show my concept clearly, so I’ve got to do some trials.

No comments: